20 Mar 12 Things To Do in Wichita Falls, TX
As a relatively new resident of Wichita Falls, I definitely have a lot to learn on building a complete list of things to do in Wichita Falls. Over the four years we plan to live here, I hope to create a comprehensive list of everything to do here. Take a look at the list I’ve put together of things I’ve done here, and a few I have yet to do (but have heard many times they are a must). For more up-to-date info on events in town, check out Choose Wichita Falls, a great resource for finding things to do and keeping yourself from being bored.
- River Bend Nature Center– Covering 18 acres, the center has a butterfly conservatory, nature trails, and a children’s garden. This is a great place to learn about and explore the nature of Wichita Falls.
- The Falls in Lucy Park– Lucy Park offers plenty for casual nature lovers. There are ponds with plenty of geese and ducks to feed as well as a pool, disc golf course, walking trails, and of course the Falls.
- Museum of North Texas History– This 14 room museum is filled with antiques dating back to WWII and artifacts from the Wild West and Native Americans. This is a great place to learn about the Northern Texas region as well as Wichita Falls.
- The Wichita Theatre- The theatre holds Broadway-level productions held in the famous and historic Wichita Theatre Performing Arts Center.
- Backdoor Theatre- Located down the street from The Wichita Theatre, another option for the performing arts is Backdoor Theatre. Holding many types of performances from comedies to dramas to musicals, this is another great way to get in some culture in Wichita Falls.
- World’s Littlest Skyscraper- This super tiny building is apparently the World’s Littlest Skyscraper according to Guinness. It was first built in 1919 by a con-artist who promised the town a skyscraper and, technically, fulfilled that promise. Just another reason why this town is so strange, but loveable.
- Castaway Cover Waterpark- The summers here are brutal. I am currently starting my second of four planned summers and it makes my adventurous explorer side want to stay hidden away inside with the AC. This waterpark is a nice alternative when you must get outside. It’s obviously more of a family destination but there are rides for all ages and staying cool on a hot day is not just for little kids.
- Urban Air Trampoline Park- I have yet to try this out, being pregnant for basically the entire time I’ve lived here, but it looks like so much fun. Especially if you have kids this would be a great place to take them to get some energy out and give them a fun afternoon. Filled with trampolines, foam pits, and jungle gym equipment, this place looks awesome for kids and adults who need to switch up their routine.
- Wee Chi Tah Mountain Bike Trail- This park, holding 13 miles of twists and turns, is great for getting out into nature right in the middle of the city. I’ve never actually ridden on this course- ICYMI- I’m pregnant- but I have walked and strolled to take photos and I will definitely be back.
- Lake Arrowhead State Park- Not only is there a huge lake for fishing, boating, and swimming, there are over two miles of walking trails that take you around the State Park. There are also campgrounds for setting up your tent or RV, horseback riding trails, and a prairie dog community.
- Kell House Museum- The Kell house was build when Frank Kell moved to Wichita Falls in 1896. As one of the town’s founding fathers his legacy is still standing today. The house is today a public museum that features artifacts, costumes, and furnishings from the family as well as information about the family’s contributions to the community.
- Depot Square District- Covering six blocks downtown, from Eight Street to Ohio Street, this is the old cultural center of Wichita Falls. Many of the city’s most cultural sites can be found here and, honestly, some of my favorite restaurants and shops. This is also the home of the farmer’s market and some amazing sites for photography.
Have you ever been to Wichita Falls? Or do you live here? Tell me what I need to add to this list!