It would seem that we’re Texas residents now. I can’t believe we’ve been here almost a year already. We’ve managed to do a good amount of things in our new state but we have so many left. We have crossed off a few major list items while living in Texas: buying our first home, and having our baby here. But there’s so many travel things we want to do around the state. We do have three more years here, so have plenty of time to cross these things off of our list.
I’ll cross off the list as I go so check back to see what I thought of these destinations!
Here is my list!
- San Antonio River Walk
- See The Alamo
- Space Center Houston
- Big Bend National Park
- State Capitol in Austin
- Visit the Texas State Fair
- Natural Bridge Caverns
- Run Dallas Marathon
- Guadalupe Mountains National Park
- Padre Island National Seashore
- Attend SXSW
- Eat at The Salt Lick BBQ in Austin
- Visit the Shiner Brewery
- Fort Worth Stockyards- We stopped at the Stockyards on our way back from Killeen. We were driving through Fort Worth and decided to stop by and see something we hadn’t yet. We walked around a bit, ate some great steak at Riscky’s, went into shops, and gawked at some longhorns. It was a cute place to go and we might possibly go back with our little one.
- See the Marfa Lights
- Eat at The Big Texan in Amarillo– This is another one we visited while living in New Mexico. Our town was tiny and Amarillo was one of the cities closest to us. We ventured to Amarillo one weekend and decided to follow the signs to the 72 oz steak. We didn’t actually attempt the 72 oz. challenge. Only a crazy person would. We watched two people test their stomachs. We sipped on beer and ate much smaller steaks.
- Go to a Dallas Cowboys Game
- Visit Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo-This was one of those sites you always see pictures of and really want to visit. It was definitely a cool sight but was way smaller than the photos make it out to be. If you’re around Amarillo definitely stop to check it out. Otherwise… I don’t know if I would make the trek out to West Texas just for this.
- Celebrate the Day of the Dead in San Antonio
- Go book shopping in Archer City
- Visit the Czech Stop in West– We stopped at the Czech Stop before we even knew it was a “bucket list” item. We were on our way back from Killeen and an unsuccessful stop at Magnolia Farms in Waco. We couldn’t pass up the opportunity to stop at a Czech themed bakery. They’re not exactly on every street corner. After living in Prague, I tend to love everything about the Czech Republic. I couldn’t pass this place by. On a Sunday morning it was packed inside and the line was nearly out the door. The breads, pastries, and other goodies smelled amazing. I want to make another trip down there to stock up.
- Attend a Rodeo
- Drive the Bluebonnet Trail
- Camp in the Fossil Rim Wildlife Center
- Visit Palo Duro Canyon
- Climb Enchanted Rock
What do you think of my list? Let me know what I need to add. I know there’s some hidden spots in this huge state I’ve missed.